Followers

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

" PORK AND CIDER STEW "

2 medium sweet potatoes ( 1 -1/4 lb. ), peeled and cut in 3/4 - inch pieces
3 small carrots, peeled and cut in 1/2 - inch thick pieces
1 cup onion, chopped
1 boneless pork shoulder ( 2 lbs. ), cut in 1 - inch pieces
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and coarsely chopped
1/4 cup flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon each of dried sage and thyme
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup apple cider

Layer sweet potatoes, carrots, onion, pork and apple in a 3 -1/2 quart or larger slow cooker.

In a small bowl stir together flour, salt, sage, thyme and pepper. Add apple cider; stir until smooth. Pour over meat and vegetables.

Cover and cook on low for 7 to 9 hours until pork and sweet potatoes are tender when pieced.

Serves; 5

11 comments:

  1. This sounds wonderful for those chilly, rainy fall evenings. I love the combination of pork and apples.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love soups and stews this time of year, sounds so good and comforting !

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is such a GREAT idea! I will certainly be trying this out.
    Pork and apples are so great together!~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE SLOW COOKER RECIPES!! Thank you for stopping by my blog and for the sweet comment! When the "Followers" problem get fixed I will come follow you and I would love it if you did the same!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great! I have made something similar but eaten the pork for one meal and saved to cooking liquid for the base of a pumpkin soup. I will try this one next time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great recipe for a crisp fall evening. Pork has been neglected. It makes a great stew but is rarely used. It's a shame. I really like your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh - that sounds like such a fantastic fall dish! How I wish I could eat apples!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am usually not a fan of stew but I love yours! It has the combo pork-apple I love. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for stopping by. Fall always puts me in the mood to cook! I hope you will try my pulled pork recipe. It is great and very easy. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds delish!! I'll have to try it soon...love pork! Thanks for visiting my blog....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh nice! An apple recipe that is not a dessert! You are a life saver.

    ReplyDelete