Followers

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

BROCCOLI with PENNE

1 - 1/2 pounds broccoli florets
1/4 cup olive oil
3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1/2 teaspoon hot chili flakes
about 1/2 teaspoon salt
about 1/4 teaspoon pepper
12 ounces dried penne pasta
1/3 cup grated pecorino romano cheese

Rinse broccoli, trim and discard stem ends. Coarsely chop tops and stem. In a 5 to 6 quart pan over medium heat, stir olive oil and garlic often until garlic sizzles, then stir in broccoli, chili flakes, salt and pepper and 1/2 cup water. cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until broccoli is very soft. Add 1/4 cup more water to pan if broccoli threatens to scorch.

Meanwhile, in a 5 to 6 quart pan over high heat, bring 4 quarts water to a boil; add penne and cook until tender to bite, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain and return to pan.

Stir broccoli mixture into pasta along with cheese. Add more salt and pepper to taste.

YIELDS: 4 to 6 servings


12 comments:

  1. Oh, does this look like heaven! I just love pasta :)

    Happy New Year!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks wonderful! I am going to the pantry now to see if I have penne noodles; I would love to make this for my family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love simple meals like this. Looks Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that you have hot pepper flakes in this dish! We hide them in almost all our pasta dishes, too!! Will try this one this weekend, too!
    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks absolutely yummy! I'll be trying it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so so love pasta and this looks so so good....great to put by for a quick dinner...u know at this rate i'll have u'll whole blog bookmarked for me....
    Yummy yummy yum and Thanx a ton ton ton for ur vote-means a lot to me dear...
    And will be here again but wishing ya a britey new year with loads of merriness and cheer....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love pasta! Happy New Year and thanks for linking to TMTT.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks fabulous! Thank you for stopping by my blog, you have some great recipes here too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I close my eyes...and I can simply embrace the aromatic sheer joy which awaits!
    Scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always forget about penne, and I LOVE penne. Thank you so much for this recipe and the lovely photo. My family will enjoy this. Have a great New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks simple and delicious - just what I need many nights of the week! Great photo!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks good and I know my grandkids... (who are living with me right now) will Love this!
    I'm having a little New Years Give away too... stop by and enter if you get a chance...
    ~Really Rainey~

    ReplyDelete