Friday, February 11, 2011
Grilled instead of deep-fried with Cabbage/Cilantro Slaw and Chipotle Tartar Sauce.
1 tablespoon ancho chile powder
2 teaspoons dries oregano
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 - 1/2 pounds boned, skinned Pacific cod
1 tablespoon olive oil
12 to 14 tortillas, warmed on grill
Heat grill to high (450 to 550). Combine seaonings in a small bowl. Set fish o a rimmed baking sheet. Rub all over with oil, then sprinkle with seasonings. Oil cooking grate, using tongs and a wad of oiled paper towels.
Grill fish, covered, turning once, until just cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes total. Break fish into large chunks. Fill tortillas with slaw and fish. Serve with tartar sauce.
Cabbage and Cilantro Slaw
3 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 teaspoon red chile flakes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 bag (10 oz.) shredded cabbage slaw
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Put lime juice, vetetable oil, chile flakes and salt in a large bowl. Just before serving, toss with cabbage and cilantro.
Chipotle Tartar Sauce
2 tablespoons canned chipotle chiles, seeded, deveined and rinsed.
8 ounces (1cup) plain low-fat Greek yogurt
1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
1/4 cup chopped red onion
Puree all ingredients in a blender. Chill until ready to use.
Friday, February 4, 2011
1 sheet thawed frozen puff pastry (8.6 oz.)
1 large egg
2/3 cup gorgonzola dolce cheese
1/2 small onion, sliced thinly
1 tablespoon olice oil
1 ripe pear, thinly sliced
2 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
1. Preheat oven to 425 F. with a rack set on the bottom. Lay dough flat on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Poke holels all over dough with a fork, leaving the outer inch untouched. Bake until dough starts to puff, about 10 minutes.
2. Whick together egg and chees until smooth and spread over dough, using a spoon to move mixture toward the corners. Saute onions in the oil in a frying pan until softened. Scatter onions and pears over chesse.
3. Bake until pastry is golden brown and egg has set, about 15 minutes. Sprinkle with thyme and cut into squares.
Yield: Serves 8
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 - 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
1 cup blueberries
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup chopped walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. In a large bowl, cream 1/2 cup butter with sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla.
2. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir into butter mixture. Add yogurt and mix gently stir in blueberries.
3. In a small bowl, stir together the brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and walnuts. Pour half the cake batter into a buttered and floured 8-inch square baking pan. Sprinkle with half the brown sugar mixture and top with the remaining batter.
4. Combine the remaining brown sugar mixture with 2 tablespoons butter and sprinkle over the top of the batter. Bake until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
Yield: Makes 6 generous servings