Followers

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

" SALSA VERDE PORK "

3 - 1/2 pounds bone-in pork shoulder (aka pork butt )
1 bottle (15 0z.) salsa verde
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
salt

Trim excess pork fat. Put trimmed pork in a slower cooker ( 5 to 6 quarts ) and turn heat to high. In a pan, bring salsa, onions, broth, oregano, cumin and coriander to a boil. Pour over pork, cover and cook until meat is very tender when pieced and registers at least 165 on a meat thermometer; at least 7 or up to 9 hours.

Remove pork from slow cooker to allow to cool.

Meanwhile, pour juices to a pan. Skim and discard fat. Boil juices, stirring until reduces to
2 - 3/4 cups , 8 to 10 minutes.

With 2 forks, tear meat into large shreds. Add to pan and stir in salt to season and cilantro leaves.

Serve with tortillas, more salsa, sour cream and shredded cheese.

Makes 6 servings.

12 comments:

  1. This sounds awesome! I've copied to my computer so I can try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Geri!
    I love Slow Cooker Recipes!! I will try this one soon! And...we love Salsa Verde! I have a recipe on my blog called Salsa Verde Enchiladas
    Here is the Link:
    http://amaworkman.blogspot.com/2009/10/salsa-verde-enchiladas.html

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. geri-
    thanks for following my blog! this recipe and the pear pie look so good! i'm going to have to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This really sounds good. I have copied it and will try it when I get back home from Mexico.
    Karen
    Ladybug Creek

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, now this is my kind of food--Mexican! I can't get enough of it. I am bookmarking this to make soon. Thanks for this recipe! Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks incredible!! I will have to give it a try sometime soon! Thanks for stopping by my blog, I'm now following yours, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds absolutely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds amazing, my mouth is watering. I was wondering what to fix for dinner on Saturday night, now I have it! Found you by way of Flowering Dogwood! Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This would be so good, and easy to make as well. Thanks!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum!! This would be a perfect dinner on a cold night. Hugs, Connie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yum! this sounds fantastic!

    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. another yummy!! I am adding you to my Foodie Favs!! @mamabirdsnest.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete