Followers

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

PUMPKIN ICE CREAM TORTE with GINGERSNAP CRUST

Pumpkin Ice Cream With Ginger Crust Torte on Foodista
8 ounces of crisp gingersnap cookies
2 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1 can (15 oz.) pumpkin, chilled
2 teaspoons pumpkin spice
About 1 - 1/4 cups caramel ice cream topping
1 quart vanilla ice cream, softened (see notes)
About 1 cup hot fudge sauce or chocolate topping
Candied walnuts or pecans

Place about a third of the cookies in a zip-lock plastic bag, seal bag, and roll with a rolling pin, until cookies are finely crushed; pour into a 9 - inch cheesecake pan with removable rim (at least 2 - inch tall). Repeat to crush remaining cookies ( you need 1 - 3/4 cups total) and pour into pan. Add sugar and butter and mix. Press cookies mixture over bottom and about 1 - inch up side of pan.

Bake crust in a 325 F. oven until lightly browned, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool about 5 minutes then chill or freeze until cold, 5 to 10 minutes.

In a chilled large bowl, mix pumpkin, pumpkin spice and 1/4 cup of the caramel topping until smooth. Add ice cream and mix until blended.

Working quickly, spoon about a third of the ice cream mixture into the cold crust. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons caramel topping and 2 tablespoons fudge sauce ( if fudge sauce is too stiff, warm slightly in a microwave oven at full power (100%), stirring once, just until fluid, 15 to 30 seconds); sprinkle half the candied walnuts on top. Repeat with two more layers, omitting nuts on the top layer. Freeze until solid, about 5 hours, then cover and freeze up to 1 week.

About 15 minutes before serving, remove sides from pan, set torte on a serving plate, and let stand in refrigerator to soften slightly. Cut into wedges. Serve with additional caramel topping and fudge sauce (warm and stir again if too stiff) to add to taste.

Notes;
For the smoothest texture, use a rich, full-fat ice cream.
To soften slightly, heat it in the carton in a microwave oven at half power (50%) for 15 to 30 seconds.

YIELDS: 12 servings

CANDIED WALNUTS or PECANS

6 tablespoons sugar
2/3 cups walnuts or pecan pieces

In a heavy 8 to 10 - inch frying pan, combine sugar and walnuts pieces. Shake and stir over medium-high heat until sugar is melted and amber-colored, about 5 minutes. Pour onto a piece of foil and spread into a thin layer. Let cool until hard, about 7 minutes. Break into small piece.

Notes;
Use these sweet nuts in the Pumpkin ice cream torte or sprinkle on salads or ice cream.
Candied nuts can be made up to 2 days ahead, cool and store airtight at room temperature.

32 comments:

  1. This looks so tasty! I just LOVE pumpkin in recipes, so this would be a perfect one to try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geri...this looks heavenly. I'm looking for a couple new desserts for some gatherings. This looks like a must do :)

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not usually one for ice cream pies, but this one sounds wonderful. I love the idea of gingersnaps for the crust.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks delicious!! It has all my favorite ingredients in it. YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhh...that sounds so good!

    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm lovin' all the recipes with gingersnap crust! It sounds so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My kids don't even like pumpkin, but I bet they would enjoy this. We need to try this for Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  8. loving this! And candied walnuts or pecans are WONDERFUL on salads. Pair them with crumbled blue cheese and dried cranberries on a bed of fresh lettuce and a fruity vinegraitte...very festive. Thanks for the wonderful recipe to try!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks and sounds incredible. It is hard to miss with that wonderful combination of ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh YUM! Thanks for the recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am sooooo going to try this!!

    The candied nuts look delicious AND easy, I am already thinking of ways to use them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dude, that sounds GOOD!!! I'm all about pumpkin deserts this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're making me drool!! I think I'll have to make some of that pumpkin ice cream with gingerbread crust. mmmmm!
    Linda
    PS thanks for voting for my wreath!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't wait to try your toasted pecans recipe. I buy them from the store and they are quite expensive. I love them on top of oatmeal with raisins and milk. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness! I love all of these flavors together. This will be on the menu at my house soon. thanks so much

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks like it might be a winner. I am also checking out you othere recipes...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't wait to try these! Hubby will be in heaven. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh! How wonderful and scrumptious it looks! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks sinfully delicious!....thanks for sharing the recipe just in time for the holiday...Have a Happy Thanksgiving....Sue @ Rue Mouffetard

    ReplyDelete
  20. MMMm....ginger snaps are my favorite and I never thought of using them in a crust. What a great recipe. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks and sounds wonderful! I'm going to have to try it. Now I'm wondering about ice cream birthday cakes... thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my goodness, oh my GOODNESS!!! I WANT THIS NOW!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh yes. This looks delicious, Thanks for this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I’m thankful for great food and a loving family. Happy Thanksgiving and thanks for being so generous with your recipes on Momtrends.

    ReplyDelete