Followers

Thursday, July 2, 2009

" APPLE TOPPED FRENCH TOAST "

4 large eggs
1/3 cup milk
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
8 slices of bread
2 tablespoons butter, divided
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts ( optional )

Apple Topping

3 tablespoons butter
4 apples, peeled, cored and sliced
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon

Beat eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon together in a large bowl.
Soak bread slices in the mixture until saturated.

Meanwhile, prepare apple topping: melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add apples and cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add brown sugar and cinnamon: cook for 2 minutes, or until apples are slightly soft.

Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
If you're using nut press saturated bread slices into chopped nuts to coat.
Cook 2 -3 slices at a time until golden brown on each side, adding butter to the skillet as needed.

Serve hot with apple topping.

serves 4


11 comments:

  1. Your French Toast sounds wonderful. Have a happy 4th.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How yummy! Have a happy 4th.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to eat the apple-topped pancakes at the Pancake House when I was a kid, so these sound great to me! As a good Southerner, I would definitely top them with the pecans. Mmmmmmm…

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds really delicious. That topping takes French toast to a whole nother level. Thanks for sharing your recipe with us. Have a wonderful holiday weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't had French toast in such a long time. This recipe may change that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa...this sound so delicious..I love French toast and I love apples and I love sugar...and I put pecans in almost everything I cook..so I know I am going to love these..
    May just make some for our Sunday morning breakfast..with a big ole slice of Country ham...O HONEY !

    ReplyDelete
  7. We’re planning on grilling up a storm this weekend. I just posted a recipe share link on my site. Hope you’ll stop by and add a favorite:

    http://momtrends.blogspot.com/2009/07/friday-feasts.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds wonderful. I will be giving it a try soon when daughter and family visit soon. Thanks for sharing. I hope you will check out my blog soon. Sorry about your back - hope you are mending well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, this sounds so good! Have a great 4th.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A good story

    GK Chesterton: “The poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese.”

    Voila: www.tastingtoeternity.com. This book is a poetic view of 30 of the best loved French cheeses with an additional two odes to cheese. Recipes, wine pairing, three short stories and an educational section complete the book.

    From a hectic life in New York City to the peace and glories of the French countryside lead me to be the co-founder of www.fromages.com. Ten years later with the words of Pierre Androuet hammering on my brain:

    “Cheese is the soul of the soil. It is the purest and most romantic link between humans and the earth.”

    I took pen and paper; many reams later with the midnight oil burning Tasting to Eternity was born and self published.

    I believe cheese and wine lovers should be told about this publication.

    Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete